Masjid Sultan ( مسجد سلطان ; Bahasa Malay for Sultan Mosque) is located at the corner of North Bridge Road and Muscat Street within the Kampong Glam district of Singapore. The mosque is considered one of the most important mosques in Singapore.
When Singapore was ceded to the British in 1819, Sir Stamford Raffles granted the Temenggong Abdul Rahman, the island’s chief, and Sultan Hussain Shah of Johore payment, an annual stipend and the use of Kampong Glam for their residence.
The area around Kampong Glam was also allocated for Malays and other Muslims. Hussain built a palace there and brought his family and a complete entourage from the Riau islands. Many of the Sultan’s and Temenggong’s followers came to Kampong Glam from the Riau Islands, Malacca and Sumatra.
Sultan Hussain then decided to build a mosque befitting his status. He constructed a mosque next to his palace from 1824 to 1826 with funds solicited from the East India Company.
The management of the mosque was headed by Alauddin Shah, the Sultan’s grandson, until 1879, when he passed the torch in to five community leaders. In 1914, the lease was extended by the government for a further 999 years and a new board of trustees was appointed, with two representatives from each faction of the Muslim community.
By the early 1900s, Singapore had become a centre for Islamic commerce, culture and art. Sultan Mosque soon became too small for this burgeoning community. In 1924, the year of the mosque’s centenary, the trustees approved a plan to erect a new mosque. The old mosque had by then also fallen into a state of disrepair.
Architect Denis Santry of Swan and Maclaren adopted a Saracenic style, incorporating minarets and balustrades. The mosque was completed after four years in 1928.
Sultan Mosque has stayed essentially unchanged since it was built, with only repairs carried out on the main hall in the 1960s and an annex added in 1993. It was gazetted as a national monument on 14 March 1975.
Today the mosque is owned by Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (MUIS).from wikipedia